Fragrance goes natural
The world is changing. New generations have new priorities, driven by an acute awareness of the need for sustainability. As the Millennials grow up, so their influence grows. While this generation does not have great spending power (yet!), these youngsters are demanding products and practices that respect the planet. Fragrance brands are quick to recognise this demand, understanding that their own efforts at sustainability can only benefit by meeting their needs.
Trends with a positive impact
It all starts with the juice. Natural fragrances are booming. They may not all be organic, but instead favour natural molecules. Of course, to achieve certain scents, artificial ones cannot always be avoided, as they might replace animal molecules. Thanks to IFRA legislation, all perfume is now animal cruelty-free and allergy sufferers are taken into account. Nevertheless, natural fragrances are on the rise, with some brands using only natural molecules.
At the same time, 'eco/eco' products are coming out that are ecological and economical at the same time. It's all about achieving a good balance. This means they are affordable for the Millennials of today and they answer to their demands for environmentally-friendly practices. In other words, they are good for you and good for the planet. A classic win-win situation.
Packaging: the great enabler
Both trends are linked in great part to packaging. A natural fragrance needs a natural look. The use of simple, sustainable materials allows a product to be dressed in an attractive way that is earth-friendly and visually conveys the eco message. Wood, aluminium, glass and even cork and ceramic are all natural materials being used for primary packaging. All can be recycled, while wood from sustainable sources is endlessly renewable and aluminium can be reused forever without degradation or loss of quality.
New techniques are being developed to incorporate and decorate these materials, with spectacular results. Mix-and-match combinations of wood, metal, ceramics and other materials can produce some amazing looks. Wood in particular offers great opportunity for creative expression. Quadpack is enlarging its own swatch book with new wood deco techniques like ink layering, driftwood effect, patinas, pearlisation, metal/stone effect, rust, chameleon and many more.
All this means that sustainable packaging is no longer limited to niche or mass market. It is being embraced by premium natural brands like Cristallerie des Parfums, as well as mass natural brands like the highly-successful 100bon.
Refill, reduce, recycle
Refill concepts are also gaining ground, particularly for eco/eco products. New, 'jumbo' formats of around 200ml are being proposed as refills by fragrance houses across Europe. Bigger means not only more affordable, but also less packaging. Replacing crimp necks with screw necks allows the bottle to be detached by the consumer to make it possible.
At the same time, small, portable formats allow the fragrance to be carried in handbags or vanity cases. These, too, can be refillable, perhaps from the original jumbo pack. Quadpack is working on a new nomad purse spray designed precisely for this purpose, with a screw neck, small capacity and a fun shape to engage the consumer.
Such 'eco-conception' goes beyond a product’s life. The packaging can be made in a way that allows easy recycling. Component parts may be dismantled by the consumer, with the materials each disposed of in the corresponding recycling container.
The manufacturer can carry the use of sustainable materials even further than primary packaging. Secondary packaging can, of course, be made of wood or recycled cardboard, for example. Beyond the pack itself, the material used for transportation can be sustainable, too. After all, great deal of packing material is involved in transport.
A sustainable future
The shift towards sustainability has been happening for some time now. The 'virtuous circle' has long been pushing the trend. Now, we are starting to see real results. Initial greenwashing practices are recognised for what they are and some brands like Guerlain have embraced the concept wholeheartedly throughout their business model. Now, as the Millennials' influence grows, there will be no turning back. This generation will help to achieve that much-needed balance and truly make the world a better place.
– Isabelle de Maistre, Quadpack Fragrance Category Manager
- October 2017Meet our Asia Pacific team at Cosmopack Asia!
- October 2017Quadpack targets growing Asia Pacific region
- July 2017Rail freight: beauty packaging takes the Silk Route
- July 2017Automating the extraordinary: Technotraf ramps up jar cap production
- July 2017Digital printing adds 'wow' to wood
- July 2017Quadpack Plastics celebrates first anniversary
- July 2017Quadpack prepares for expansion as John McDermott takes on role of COO
- June 2017Navigating make-up's new frontier
- May 2017FFF prepares for a special edition of the FiFi awards
- May 2017Wood beyond limits — part 2
- May 2017Fragrance goes natural
- April 2017New glass decorating line arrives at Quadpack Impressions
- April 2017Wood beyond limits
- February 2017Quadpack Trend Directive: 3 emerging trends for 2018
- January 2017Quadpack Foundation supports Marató TV3 charity drive
- January 2017Quadpack: planning for a bright future
- December 2016The only way is up!
- December 2016Quadpack celebrates merger at Hong Kong party
- December 2016Quadpack and Collcap merge
- November 2016Form and function: the five stages of bespoke
- July 2016High-end injection-moulding line arrives at Quadpack Plastics
- July 2016Krampak becomes Quadpack Impressions and reports record sales
- July 2016New emissions control system at Technotraf
- June 2016CEW France celebrates 30 years and opens membership to men
- June 2016FiFi award gala a roaring success
- June 2016Fragrance industry trends herald changing times
- May 2016Catalan reforestation project is first act of newly-formed Quadpack Foundation
- May 2016Make-up meets skin care: new style trends ride the wave
- April 2016Packaging trends - beauty on the go
- March 2016Sustainable forests - your key questions answered
- February 2016Lifestyle trends in skin care packaging
- January 2016Quadpack joins board of Fragrance Foundation France
- January 2016A great year for Quadpack Group
- December 2015Quadpack Australia has moved!
- December 2015Three Part Harmony by Origins wins NJPEC award
- December 2015Sylvie de France: Designing the perfect perfume bottle
- November 2015Yonwoo enters the stock exchange
- October 2015Sylvie De France to design exclusive perfumery range
- October 2015Technotraf on tour: wooden packaging training for design agencies
- September 2015Isabelle de Maistre to head up Quadpack's Perfumery Division
- July 2015Technotraf strengthens commitment to sustainability with FSC certification
- July 2015Decoration innovation: Technotraf gets into the Groove
- May 2015Beauty packaging goes eco friendly
- April 2015Where the magic happens – a guided tour of Technotraf
- March 2015Yonwoo unveils strategy to enter Chinese domestic market
- March 2015Quadpack commits to global sustainability
- February 2015Yonwoo gears up to enter pharmaceutical market
- February 2015Quadpack strengthens bespoke service with new appointment
- January 2015Packaging concepts to inspire you at Packaging Innovations Birmingham
- January 2015Looking back on a year of transformation
- December 2014Quadpack cocktail party provides R&R during Cosmoprof Asia
- December 2014Quadpack inaugurates Manufacturing Division
- November 2014A place to be inspired...
- November 2014Come and see us at Cosmoprof Asia!
- October 2014Quadpack's UK office has moved!
- October 2014The expert's view: the natural beauty of wood
- September 2014Discover what's next in premium beauty packaging at Luxury Packaging Innovations
- September 2014Beauty packaging gets a make-over at LuxePack Monaco
- July 2014Catalonia's local talent gets a boost at the 2014 Innovacat Awards
- June 2014The expert's view: beauty packaging in glass
- May 2014See the latest packaging trends at Cosmetic Business!
- May 2014Packaging concepts for 'women on the go' at Make Up in Paris
- April 2014Technotraf demonstrates luxury packaging solutions in wood at LuxePack New York
- April 2014Welcome to the Barcelona Beauty Cluster!
- April 2014The expert's view: packaging for skin care
- March 2014Lancôme's Advanced Génifique scoops up PCD award
- March 2014Technotraf Wood Packaging – one year on
- March 2014New ideas in beauty packaging at Cosmoprof
- February 2014Quadpack acquires Spanish screen-printing company
- February 2014The expert's view: packaging for colour cosmetics
- January 2014Cherry Pack III – bright ideas in beauty packaging
- January 2014Looking ahead to a year of growth
- December 2013Foam pumps set to transform beauty packaging
- November 2013Mixing the formula for success at LuxePack
- November 2013Yonwoo celebrates 30 years
- September 2013The Creative Room: a space for inspiration
- September 2013Discover the secrets of differentiation in beauty packaging
- September 2013Airless packaging embraces green materials and functional design
- August 2013Natura Bissé: 10 years in the luxury beauty sector
- July 2013Quadpack.net gets a make-over
- July 2013Wood shines at Make Up in Paris
- June 2013Quadpack kicks off its Master Class series
- June 2013How to create the perfect mascara pack
- June 2013High-end make up concepts at Make-Up in Paris
- May 2013Technotraf publishes white paper on sustainability in beauty packaging
- May 201310 things you didn’t know about Quadpack
- April 2013Technotraf and Premi: transforming luxury fragrance packaging
- April 2013Eco-chic and formula protection at Cosmoprof
- April 2013How to choose the perfect perfume bottle
- March 2013Quadpack acquires wooden component manufacturer Technotraf
- March 2013Helping beauty brands perform for 10 years
- February 2013The Telegraph Business Club publishes “The perfect package”
- January 2013Yonwoo’s innovation machine
- January 2013Big plans for 2013
- December 2012Yonwoo Style!
- December 2012Cheers! Quadpack cocktail party a roaring success
- December 2012Quadpack targets OTC and cosmeceutical markets
- November 2012Home spa trend forges ahead at LuxePack
- October 2012Beauty packaging trends at Cosmoprof Hong Kong
- October 2012The jar that defied the recession
- October 2012Quadpack to showcase airless and foamer innovations
- September 2012Download the Quadpack iPad App!
- September 2012Quadpack inaugurates flagship office in Barcelona
- September 2012Premium packaging for skin care and OTC
- September 2012What's new in pharma - visit our stand at InnoPack
- September 2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Laurent Frydlender, Quadpack France
- September 2012Quadpack streamlines global logistics
- July 2012Dermofarm commits to best practice
- July 2012Focus on cleansing at Make-Up in Paris
- July 2012Test your new foamer with a functional mock-up
- June 2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Giorgio Cassanmagnago, Quadpack Italy
- June 2012Yonwoo growth prompts World Class status
- June 2012Quadpack introduces new 3D rendering service
- May 2012Promotional gifts: fashion trends for autumn/winter
- May 2012Fast track to your Quadpack product
- May 2012Come and see us at Make Up in Paris & Cosmetic Business!
- April 2012Office move marks major growth for Quadpack Italy
- April 2012Quadpack joins forces with Premi
- March 2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Marcela Buitrago, Quadpack Spain
- March 2012Quadpack enters Swiss market
- February 2012‘Which airless for which formula’ round table session
- February 2012Quadpack introduces department store concept at Cosmoprof
- February 2012Don’t miss Quadpack’s cosmetic packaging solutions at Packaging Innovations
- February 2012Quadpack France growth spurs move to Paris
- January 2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Jason Smith, Quadpack Australia
- December 2011Quadpack presents Yonwoo innovations at L'Oréal's second innovation forum, Cherry Pack 2
- December 2011Party time at Cosmoprof Asia!
- November 2011Meet the business unit director: Jenni Paddick, Spirit Ltd
- November 2011Tune into fashion trends for spring/summer 2012
- October 2011Quadpack introduces premium packaging innovations
- October 2011Low-cost innovation will drive airless market, says Yonwoo president
- September 2011Quadpack presents cosmetic pack innovations at Easyfairs Stockholm
- September 2011Oceanic SA: on a mission to help allergy sufferers
- August 2011International people moves at Quadpack Group
- July 2011Inauguration of new test facilities at Quadpack Group headquarters
- July 2011See us in Sydney at the International Spa and Beauty Expo!
- July 2011Quadpack and Apollo share a stand at Cosmeeting, Paris
- June 2011Quadpack targets the New Zealand cosmetics packaging market
- June 2011Come and see us at Make-Up in Paris!
- May 2011Apollo appoints Quadpack as exclusive distributor
- May 2011Quadpack gets interactive at Cosmetic Business
- April 2011Quadpack Spain ramps up its management team
- March 2011Hong Kong business unit to coordinate Asian sourcing operations
- March 2011Airless Packaging Association to promote airless systems at Cosmoprof Bologna
- March 2011Get up close and personal at Cosmoprof 2011!
- March 2011Quadpack’s double tubes are a hit at Packaging Innovations Birmingham 2011
- February 2011Prestige and mass market solutions at Quadpack’s stand at PCD 2011
- February 2011New year CEO statement: 2010 closes on a high
- December 2010Quadpack buys majority share in gifting & promotions company Spirit
- December 2010Quadpack joins forces with cosmetics packaging giant Brivaplast
- December 2010Sales force strengthened with key appointments in Benelux and UK
- November 2010Quadpack make-up and airless solutions draw crowds at Luxe Pack
- October 2010Quadpack gears up for launch into central- and eastern europe
- August 2010Mid-year CEO statement: market shift pays off
- August 2010Quadpack expands Chinese sourcing operation
- July 2010Quadpack Down Under: steady growth for Australian office
- July 2010Javier Navia to lead Quadpack Group’s packaging innovation drive
- July 2010Quadpack meets its customers face to face at two key industry events
- June 2010Shaping the future at exclusive L'Oréal innovation forum
- March 2010Come and meet us at Cosmoprof!
- March 2010New airless pack label
- February 2010Quadpack streamlines global business processes
- February 2010Unblemished record in quality management
- February 2010Video conferencing speeds time-to-market
- January 2010Quadpack Group sales figures defy crisis
- January 2010Body and...spirit: a new venture into bags and accessories
- November 2009Luxepack Monaco exhibition
- February 2009Worldstar Packaging award for Nude
- July 2008Nude won the Starpack awards